South Florida loggings

jim_kr1s <jkearman@...>

The band felt short last night and this morning, with no TAs or even hets heard last night. http://geomag.nrcan.gc.ca/common_apps/ssp-1-eng.php is showing intermittent moderate high-latitude disturbances; we got one day of grace, so I hope everyone took advantage of it!

Times in UTC, PL-380 with modified internal antenna.

03-09

2310

1120

WSME

Camp Lejeune

NC

C&W off 2316Z

2344

770

CMBA

?

Cuba

R Rebelde // 600 Cuba #99

2348

1120

CMBA

?

Cuba

R Rebelde // 600 Cuba #100

2350

920

CMBC

?

Cuba

R Progreso // 640 Cuba #101

03-10

0415

1230

WSBB

New Smyrna Beach

FL

Sinatra, "Fly Me…" ID 0418Z Florida #130

1050

540

HICM

Santo Domingo

Dom Rep

R ABC, M talking, mx, f/o 1050Z

1105

610

CMBD

Sancti Spiritus

Cuba

R Reloj Cuba #102 ULR #387

Operation Bay of Sigs wrapped up with a blitz across the band, looking for R Progreso and R Rebelde stations. While cross-checking Rebelde on 610 early this morning, trying to figure out what I was hearing on 860, the distinctive "RR" of R Reloj poppsed out, for Cuba #103.

A couple of notes on 540 kHz. Chris Black reported hearing HICM and YNOM the other night, with YNOM being 180 Hz off frequency. The tone was audible this morning, beating against WFLF*, but faded at Santo Domingo SR.

I'll have to build that quilt-hoop-loop to replace the internal antenna, or work some voodoo magic on WFLF if I want to log the weaker stations on 540. The internal antenna won't null well enough; even coupled into the Terk, there's enough stray pickup to offset the Terk's ability to null. Being at the bottom of the band, 540 kHz will benefit from the nulling ability of a larger loop. If you aren't trying to null a big signal, inductively coupling into the internal antenna works well enough. If you have a fire-breathing dragon on the frequency, getting the internal antenna out of the circuit is a must.

*WFLF 540 did not change patterns at SS last night and was very strong before sunrise, but I think they eventually switched sometime overnight, as they got even louder at SR. This could be a good candidate for anyone needing Florida. They consistently ID as "WFLA," not WFLF. WFLA 970 is in Tampa. Listening to two idiots talking about UFOs last night, when I was trying to dig out Honduras, I was thinking of all sorts of good mnemonics for "FLF," none of which are family-friendly!

73,

Jim, KR1S
http://kr1s.kearman.com/