Re: PL-360? anyone have one yet?

Gary DeBock

Hello Jack (and Tony),

Thanks for your question, and I'm happy to hear about your PL-380 purchase based on my articles.

Like Tony mentioned, the Tecsun PL-380 (like the PL-310) has a dual tuning rate on the AM and other bands, which is selected according to the user's rotation of the tuning thumbwheel. When the user rotates the thumbwheel at a fast rate on the AM band, the tuning is performed at 10 kHz steps. When the thumbwheel rotation slows down, the tuning rate is switched to 1 kHz steps. This dual tuning rate system cannot be switched off (like on the PL-300WT/ G8 models), and takes some time to master. As you might guess, it is not universally popular with DXers, but does seem to work fairly well in most situations.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)

In a message dated 3/9/2010 4:30:59 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, jleonard@... writes:

Hello Gary, no I don't have a 360 but I just rec'd today a PL-380 based on your shoot out results and review but I'm having some trouble tuning it. I followed the manual and set 10Khz tuning steps and it will tune in 10khz steps using the "vf" key but I can't seem to get it to tune in 10khz uning the thumbwheel, when I hit the "vf" of course it is scanning quickly thru and only stops on strong signals. Is there any way to tune manually in 10Khz increments? Am I missing something here?
thanks
Jack Leonard