Re: New To Group

keith beesley

Hi Gordon, welcome to the group,

I had a D96L, and wouldn't recommend it. On mine, MW sensitivity/selectivity was good, and I enjoyed the variable bandwidths, but it suffered from extreme "pumping" on weaker stations. Also, build quality felt flimsy; the buttons felt as if they could break or wear out easily. FM performance was average and it was deaf on SW.

Of course, some of these issues may have been fixed in later versions (I got mine about 6 months ago); but if you're looking for another small radio, a better bet IMO would be the PL310 or the (non-DSP) G6 Aviator.

73,
your cross-Sound neighbor,

Keith Beesley
S.Seattle, WA

Hi Gordon,

Welcome to the group (and it's especially nice to welcome another Puget
Sound ULR DXer). We have a close group of Ultralight radio fanatics here in
western Washington (the birthplace of the ULR boom in late 2007), and we are
always eager to add more converts!

Your barefoot PL-380 should be able to receive quite a few TP's when
conditions improve, especially in the fall season. During the spring, conditions
may allow you to hear some of the "big guns" around sunrise, if you have
the chance to DX during that period. The PL-380 certainly is the Ultralight
radio of choice for transoceanic DXers, and should prove very successful in
DXing this year.

Kevin Schanilec of Bainbridge Island lives fairly close to you, and has
submitted various antenna articles to our Ultralightdx file section. Quite a
few enthusiasts like Keith Beesley live in Seattle, while Guy Atkins and I
live in Puyallup (a fairly good location for nulling out west coast QRM,
when chasing TP's :-)

Feel free to check out the numerous articles in our Ultralightdx file
section, many of which were written by our local Puget Sound DXers (a review of
the PL-380 is posted at _http://www.mediafire.com/?w4yuzhj2kyz_
(http://www.mediafire.com/?w4yuzhj2kyz) )
Good luck in ULR DXing!

73, Gary DeBock, N7EKX (in Puyallup, WA)

In a message dated 3/9/2010 12:33:00 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
kitsaplorax@... writes:

I've got a PL-380, a DE1103, and am looking at one of the Kchibo DSP
models, either the 96 or the 95.

The only way in which the PL-380 does not outperform my DE1103 (using the
same external passive antennas) on mw is that without a bfo I can't very
well try to zero-beat a carrier and determine if there's another signal under
there.

Probably because of the antenna, the lw performance of the PL-380 is worse
than my DE1103, even with the DE1103 mw image problems. I haven't logged
any mw TP yet, but have gotten plenty of Idaho, California, Colorado,
British Columbia and Calgary stations. The PL-380 is my radio of choice for long
walks, displacing the venerable Sony SRF59 due to signal stability when
walking around corners.

Gordon Cooper
KE7RYM
Bremerton WA USA