Re: MI LOG F I N A L L Y ! ! !

Tony Germanotta

Yea, I have that problem with a few local pests who bleed over adjacent frequencies. It's not in the receiver selectivity either, it happens even on my R8A and R-390A with its mechanical filters. The stations are just sloppy at the transmitter site, is my guess. One of the top FCC Engineers, the guy who ran the school for FCC engineers, used to live here and I got to know him pretty well. One night the two of us went out on a DF hunt for outlaw CBers in his specially equipped FCC car with direction finding antennas. It was a blast. I wrote the story for my newspaper and also wrote a version for Monitoring Times. Anyway, when Jerry was around, he'd keep these commercial folks honest. Alas, he died of a brain tumor some years back. A techie to the end, he was one of the first to use gamma ray surgery on his tumor and even invited the newspaper to come along for this ride. Unfortunately, I was an editor by then and couldn't get the medical reporters interested. What a waste. This was a patient who actually understood the electronics involved in his attempt at a cure. They got the tumor alright, but it had already spread. Years later, one of my cousins developed a brain tumor and underwent the same "surgery." He's doing fine so far. 

On Feb 26, 2010, at 11:03 AM, wa8lcz wrote:

hi Tony,

my biggest problem in the Detroit area, is a bunch of 50 kw stations, their splatter and their iboc hash. WWJ is 950, but 940 and 960 are worthless, (so i log 1 station for 3 freq) so finding a clear freq is not that easy. on 1150, Delaware is east of me, ckoc hamilton ont 164 mi 50k 50k is NE, WCUE cuyahoga OH 122 mi 5k 500w is SE, so the freq is usually a mess.

1410 is a little better, the only strong station is WING dayton oh, its due south but i can hear them, fairly strong, with the ant pointed east. the other 7 stations that i have id'ed, fad in and out.

i have the same problem with SD, the only freq i have a chance with is 1320 KELO, last night, after 5 hours, i copied "1320 keoel" the right letters but in the wrong combination. so i'll keep trying. i pick freqs where the station runs at least 5k day and night, any less than that and its a long shot. (this does not apply to border states, oh in il ont) using an audio recorder gives me a much better chance of hearing the id over and over again. wish i'ld had one months ago.

when i post my log, i'm sure some of you guys use the info to go after that station, but i wonder how many actually log it. conditions are so different from place to place. it would be gratifying to hear from anyone that works Delaware on 1410. it would also be good to see other guys daily logs to judge band conditions from day to day. this would help everyone.

byron wa8lcz 4 mi north of Detroit MI

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, Tony Germanotta tony@...> wrote:
>
> Have you tried WDEL 1150? That's usually pretty easy for me here in Chesapeake, Va. Of course I have the salt water path to credit. Wait until the baseball season starts and look for the Phillies' broadcast there. It's one of their key network affiliates.
>
>
> On Feb 25, 2010, at 8:33 PM, Randy B wrote:
>
> >
> > Nice catch, Byron! I've logged 27 states from here in northeastern PA but I can't snag anything in Delaware. WDOV is 131 mi from me. You give me hope! I'll have to try sitting on 1410.
> >
> > Randy Brown
> > East Stroudsburg PA
> > G8 barefoot
> >
> > --- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "wa8lcz" wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > Feb 24 Wen
> > > 1410 WDOV Dover Delaware 1730 EST 5k 5k newsradio 452 mi #250 state #34
> > > **** ant pattern SE
> > >
> > > I sat on 1410 for weeks, morning and night, copied 8 other stations PA OH PA CT KY NY MI IL until WDOV popped up out of the noise, a lot of noise, now he's in the log forever.
> > >
> > >
> > > Byron wa8lcz nr Detroit Mi stations heard 250
> > > Kenwood TS450S litz loop 34 in sq V2.0
> > >
> >
> >
>

Join main@UltralightDX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.