Re: IBOC and ssb or sync detection

Powell

The Sony ICF-2010 has DSB sync, but I hear the E-1's is superior. I often get very strong selective fades on WLAC, and with the G3 it gets rather upset on these deep fades. It doesn't bother the 2010 much, but on really bad ones the upper / lower LED switches back and forth. You would think with all the DSP power that can be written into the chips they would have done a better job. Sensitivity on MW and SW need to seriously be improved. Of course I can use one of the tuneable loops on MW to perk things up, but I don't want to HAVE to unless I have to and WLAC is my strongest AM signal at night and on the G3 it's barely OK. At least WLAC and WCKY don't have their IBOC on right now.

Powell in the woods near Silverstreet, SC

--- In ultralightdx@..., "gkinsman1" <gkinsman@...> wrote:

Hi Richard,

I believe the post on ABDX regarding the IBOC digital sideband layout, and the resulting interference, is correct.

One other thing to keep in mind is that KNX itself is an IBOC station. It's a local for me, but using SSB sync to listen to it results in a lot of digital noise. DSB sync, like that on the Eton E1 series, solves this problem. I believe the E1 is the only portable with DSB sync. I wish Eton would have added this sync mode to the G3 as well.

Regards,
Gary