From: ultralightdx@... [mailto:ultralightdx@...] On
Behalf Of jim_kr1s
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 5:51 AM
To: ultralightdx@...
Subject: [ultralightdx] 300

Anyone who can log 300 ULR stations in a month (for one of the Ross
Challenge awards) has to be a hero. It took two days to log 100, and 2-1/2
months to reach 300. Chris Knight and I were neck-and-neck at the 280 level,
but Chris went to bed early last night, and I was up at 5 a.m. local time
this morning. Cubans make up nearly 25% of my ULR total, so it was only
logical that one would be my #300. (Stations in Florida, where I live, total
110 in my ULR log!)

There was a nice surprise this morning. Sitting on 1360 waiting for that
Cuban to fade up, I started hearing church ads, with South Carolina phone
numbers, then mentions of Fort Jackson, which is outside Columbia, SC.
Turned out to be WELP in Easely, SC. It was 1130Z, well before sunrise
there, and they're supposed to be 35 W night. I suspect they forgot to
switch the power last night! Easely is pretty far inland, so I wasn't
getting the over-water coastal boost.

Going all out for 300 was fun, but I'm not up to battling for 400! Going to
concentrate on Latin Americans other than Cubans.

Thanks to Rob and Gary for keeping the awards program going!

73,

Jim, KR1S
http://qrp.kearman.com/