Re: Listening activities

jim_kr1s <jkearman@...>

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Chris Knight" wrote:

> I use the SS/SR charts from the NRC/IRCA clubs available as reprints.

If you're willing to do a little more work, you can get the info direct from FCC, for U.S. stations, anyway. FCC will supply day and night patterns (assuming they're different) in PDF, as well as SR/SS times for each station.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?call=<call> is the place to start (use /fmq? etc for FM stations). My other resource is a periodically updated list of U.S. and Canadian stations, that gives program and network details, usually accurate.  http://www.amlogbook.com/freq.htm

Pick a few frequencies with likely candidates, then head over to FCC for pattern and time data. DX Atlas will let you stick pins at the correct coordinates, then roll ahead in time to find the grayline dates.

> Sunset skip across the other pond (Gulf of Mexico) should be exciting from
> your QTH! As the sun moves west, stations with day power and patterns should
> be in for a few minutes at full strength before they power down. You should
> be able to get some decent reception from TX, AR, LA, MO and points west
> using this technique.

The way the earth is tilted right now makes things very interesting. In December, the whole east coast and half the Midwest were dark before Florida, so things really perked up at sunset. Now it's calming down a bit.

> This is all calculated and really
> is what brings in some of the best greyline DX. I've seen 660-KTNN and
> 1580-KMIK both in AZ reported from FL using this sunset skip DXing
> technique. I've used it to log some east coast stuff such as 660-WESC (now
> WLFJ) in SC.

I've heard a 1kw in El Paso (KSVE 1650) and 5 other Texans, but haven't jumped the border into New Mexico yet. I can't believe you haven't logged Florida. We have a lot of stations, but not many 50 kWs. There should be a couple you can snag, though. Sunrise on the east coast of Florida is about 1040Z this week. It takes about 10 minutes for the terminator to transit the peninsula, and another 5 minutes after that to cover the Panhandle.

73,

Jim, KR1S
http://qrp.kearman.com/