Re: Guy Atkin's Independent Testing of PL-380 7.5" Loopstick

Rik

I use my 4 foot loop horizontally near the ceiling most of the time, but wish it collapsed for transport. I am thinking about using 450 ohm ladder line with off set connections at the base, so electrically it uses single conductors as the loop. That would be MUCH less likely to tangle up. I am thinking the turns could be secured at opposite corners, and a removable spreader bar could be used when you set up the antenna. Maybe the rigid frame would be PVC like Garry's in the files, and the removable spreader could be fiberglass electric fence rod, under a little tension. The 450 ohm ladder line I use has copper plated steel wires, so it wouldn't flop around. I am still creating this in my mind. - FARMERIK

--- In ultralightdx@..., "jim_kr1s" <jkearman@...> wrote:

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Stephen" <pianoplayer88key@>
wrote:

One of these days I'd like to build a large box loop or something
that's several feet in diameter. I may base it on one of the loops on
Bruce Carter's website, but would be open to other suggestions, like
maybe the PVC loops mentioned earlier in this group. I'm hoping I would
be able to get 1000+ mile daytime DX with whatever loop I end up using,
though, like Bruce was able to get with his loops.

There's a lot to know about wire spacing and construction methods, but
you've probably found it all online already. I've been looking on the
auction site for "loop antenna" and finding a lot of antiques to study
for construction techniques. The techniques for modern loops are well
covered, but it's fun to look. I've built a few large box loops, and the
one thing I keep in mind is structural rigidity. You don't want sagging
or warping, and it will fall over someday, so it should be strong enough
to survive that. The only other suggestion is to make sure you can get
it from where you build it to where you intend to use it, and that there
is enough room to turn it without hitting the walls! Oh, and if you plan
to take it in a car, make something that comes apart and goes back
together, so you don't have to put the top down and wear it. :) The one
I use now was meant to go out the door and stand on a tripod in the
yard. It's top heavy enough that it destroyed the mount on a fairly
hefty tripod, and it's too big to comfortably turn in the living room.
So I guess it's big enough.

73,

Jim, KR1S
http://qrp.kearman.com/ <http://qrp.kearman.com/>