Listening activities

jim_kr1s <jkearman@...>

Let two weeks slip by without DXing, and Chris Knight has pulled ahead of me, with 264 ULR stations to my 263. When John Bryant announced the Centurian awards, I started from scratch to see how many Cubans I could log. It seemed possible to get 100, but now I have some doubts. There are 59 in the new log, and 7 previously logged that haven't been re-logged, but the pond may be fished out. I'm just far enough from Cuba that not too many make it through in daylight, eliminating most of the daytime-only stations. BTW, if you look at WRTH and see several Cuban stations on one frequency, chances are, all or most are daytime-only. This is especially true if more than one network shares a frequency. I heard more than one Reloj on the same frequency at night once, and they were a little out of sync, so there were three Rs in the Morse Code ID, instead of two!

Spending time digging for Cubans (I call it Operation Bay of Sigs) has netted a few new TA and domestic stations along the way. Last night, Absolute Radio 1215 was stronger than ever here, and I figured a few more Europeans might fall in, but AR went away and took the rest of the continent with it. Even the Africans were no shows. The aurora looked pretty fat last night, and skip generally seemed short. WWVA was a powerhouse in the car yesterday morning, but WACV in AL was dominating 1170 at SRS this morning, with brief appearances by WAVS down Fort Lauderdale way.

Combining the ULR log with the regen log, I have 349 overall (since last September), so I need to figure out what the ULR has missed and find them again. These days I seem to spend more time sorting spreadsheets than listening to the radio. But I enjoy jousting with the Knight, and now I have a plan to get ahead of him again!

73,

Jim, KR1S
http://qrp.kearman.com/