Re: Guy Atkin's Independent Testing of PL-380 7.5" Loopstick

jim_kr1s <jkearman@...>

Tony,

Thanks for that other link. Yes, MW propagation is more interesting than HF IMO, and varies from one end of the band to the other. Probably not the best choice for broadcasting, but what did they know? Makes for an interesting hobby, anyway!

I think the ham rigs are using proprietary DSP, so they can thwart the competition. They use DSP to process transmitted audio and do other neat tricks for digital-mode reception and transmission, too. In a communications receiver, one of the slickest parts of the SiLabs chip would be less useful: The ability to resonate the LW/MW antenna. I've been experimenting with external air loops tuned by the radio, but there are problems when you try to make them big. What I wouldn't give to be able to tap into the varactor tuning voltage and disconnect the internal varactor. A remote box controlled through a fiber-optic cable would be a fine thing. Sony is way overdue to replace the 7600GR, but they may have abandoned the SWL market as far as new development. They seem to have lost interest, and it's been downhill since the ICF-2010.

73,

Jim, KR1S
http://qrp.kearman.com/