Re: Measuring PL-380 Soft-Mute

Tony Germanotta

Thanks Scott. That had been my experience with the PL-310, that the "mute" is just an drop in audio not signal, despite the SN dropping to 0 on the meter. I guess you could find a signal so weak that you run out of clicks on the volume knob, but I generally use very efficient headphones and have never had that happen. (It looks like the 310 is also a 4 clicker.) Now I won't worry when I offtune that I am somehow losing signal intelligence along with my drop in volume.  This is an amazing chip you designed, and they did an amazing job on these radios. I think I will live with the need to work my volume control rather than move to the PL-380 with its smaller, less efficient loopstick.

On Feb 2, 2010, at 6:12 PM, sdwillingham wrote:

Good question. It is just a volume change in the audio
processing. In the audio world, this would be called
'downward expansion'. (Well, not quite. Expansion would
just be based on the signal volume, whereas the soft-mute
is based on calculated SNR.)

This suggests one way to defeat the effect: just off-tune
from the carrier by 1 kHz, which engages the soft-mute.
Then turn your volume knob up by 2-clicks (PL-380) or
4-clicks (PL-300). As long as you can live with the offset
filtering, this should get rid of the pumping effect. Since
you are already dealing with low-SNR signals, this technique
should not further degrade reception.

-Scott-