Re: Si4734 Hardware and Software Guides

sdwillingham

Roy,

I am using the daughterboard-only for my interface within the
radio. The base adapter, however, provides an interface for two
things: 1) Downloading programs to flash memory. 2) It has
a very slick 2-wire interface to the MCU which is used for
in-circuit debugging. With the development tools, you can
run/stop/trace your code graphically.

The daughtercards are available separately for about $10 each.
I think the base adapter is $15-20. I bought one of each.
You probably want to buy the "getting-started" kit first,
however, to get all the software tools. Just add the -F321
daughtercard separately.

I use a full version of the Keil compiler. The same compiler
is used in the Silabs kits, but is a restricted version (I think
it mainly restricts program size to 2kB). Right now, I am not
using the development-kit IDE. Instead, I use the compiler with
Gnu-make and some complex Makefiles developed by our firmware
group. (The same compiler is used for the Si47XX internal MCU
firmware.)

Regarding USB code, my interface uses the code from the
reference design Zip that I linked to earlier in this thread.
This code uses a standard HID interface to the PC, so there are
no drivers needed. Some PC-side C-code examples can be found
in that zip file too. (Just disregard the complicated
audio-streaming code and refer to the control/command code.)
I have not done any programming on the PC side, however,
because I'm able to use the Silabs standard Si47xx evaluation
GUI on that side.

On the daughtercard side, I'm sure I can help you get the basic
USB communication going, which is 90% of the code. (And the
code I'm using is barely modified from the code that's already
publically available.) Only about 10% of my code deals with
the EVB/GUI command set and communication with the radio chip.

-Scott-

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Roy" <roy.dyball@...> wrote:

Scott

Thank you for putting me straight about the SPI connection to the MCU.

Am I correct in assuming that you are only using the daughter board
alone and not the base board connected to the daughter board? Is the
daughter board available on its own from Mouser?

Scott what version of C are you using. Is the Si labs development
environment and tools all one would need to get an interface working
with the ability to slot in my own code? Are the PC-USB libraries
included in the development environment?

I will probably order one of these MCU boards and have a go. There goes
another life time LOL. I will look forward to your results with the new
board. I also thought it made good sense to utilise the existing USB
connector on the 380 or the 310.

Cheers Roy.--- In ultralightdx@..., "sdwillingham"
<sdwillingham@> wrote:

Roy,

A clarification: the code in the reference design I linked to
is actually operating the chip in 3-wire mode. It nicely makes
use of the MCU's SPI interface hardware, but the incoming and
outgoing serial data lines are actually connected together with
a 1 kohm resistor (see the schematic in the app note).

I actually used a version of that code example in the first
version of my interface. That said, I'm back to bit-banging
with my current software.

Yesterday, one of these arrived at my house from Mouser:

http://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/TechnicalDocs/ToolStick_F321_D\;
C_UG.pdf

It's quite a lot bigger than my present prototype, but should be
easier to work with in terms of solder points, etc. Last night
I determined that if I cut off the bottom third of the board
(where the potentiometer and switch are), I will be able to fit
the remainder inside my PL-380. (These Tecsuns are remarkable
in their packaging design -- very little wasted space and yet
very easy to dis- and re-assemble.) The PL-380's built-in USB
connector will make this a very stealth modification!

-Scott-

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Roy" roy.dyball@ wrote:

Because the Tecsun uses the 3 wire interface I feel it is best to
stick
with it while they use it because I can unhook my interface, and as
soon
as I switch the local MCU control lines back in it takes over
without a
fuss and you can still use any changes you have made until power
down
while using the radio normally.

I am really leaning toward using an MCU like you are doing and am
looking forward to seeing your final results. I noticed you have
posted
more pictures and your radio with interface looks good now it is
back
together.