Re: Guy Atkin's Independent Testing of PL-380 7.5" Loopstick

Roy <roy.dyball@...>

Hi Guy

I noticed in your test that you had your radio tuned right at the bottom of the band (530Khz).

 I agree that with the same 81 turn sliding coil connected to my PL-380 that it showed an increase of about 20dbu and more importantly that the S/N had risen by some times up to 10-12db on the low frequency end of the band. These results are undeniable and improve the radio greatly

Did you get a chance to try stations at the top of the band? My coil started to drop off above 1200Khz and at the top of the band showed an increase in dbu of only about 7-10 and no increase in S/N level.

I also concur that my best results have been with coils wound in the centre of the rod. Extensive testing with different coils wound at the centre of the rod and different wire size and inductance has shown me that a value of inductance in the range 0f 330-350µH works the best over the entire band.

I found that a coil of 70 turn (110mm) 660 Litz wire wound at the centre performed the best overall and had the least amount of noise. When the varactor values are read from the Si4734 chip with it tuned to 1710 Khz it reports a value of around 10pf indicating the chip has not run out of capacitance at the top of the band. The inductance could be increased if you dont want to work the top end of the band.

The Welbrook range of gear looks like good gear and I hope your DX expedition goes well.

Cheers Roy.