Re: I received my PL-380 today but don´t know if it´s the ...

Gary DeBock

Hi Milton,

Thank you for your kind comments, which are much appreciated.

My earlier photo of the Tecsun PL-380 model shipping boxes was not so clear, so here is a better one. You can easily see the writing "2009.9 VER.2" and "2009.9 VER.1" on the shipping box flaps in the photo below, which can help any DXer determine whether or not the model is a "new version" or old version" PL-380. This same photo is posted at http://www.mediafire.com/?nimoyajwkzj , for those who cannot receive the photo in their email.

Regarding the soft-mute issue, Milton, I have tested both the "new version" and "old version" PL-380 models by tuning 1 kHz up or down (as Scott has recommended), but I cannot detect any difference in the soft-mute function. I think that the soft-mute function is set at the same level on both of the PL-380 versions, but this level is significantly lower than on the PL-310, D96L or other Si4734 models.

Milton, the SW band on the PL-380 is usually stable on all models, both new and old version. When I was drafting the PL-380 review one of my two review models had a defective SW section with an intermittent oscillation problem, but this was only a problem in one out of twelve PL-380 models so far, so it seems that this was just a rare issue. Seven other "old version" PL-380 models have been fine on the SW band.

" Recently i have done a individual mini Dx-Camp in a wonderful place here in Brasil coast, called "Pontal do Atalaia" - some hills (about 400m height) on the Atlantic coast of Arraial do Cabo city - (photos of local in Google) in December, 28 with my relatively old PL-300WT and my results were, in my vision, spetaculars because there are no kind of noises. I had to make wild camping to spend the dawn capturing only stations too week to meet the limit of my modified OM loopstick PL-300wt + TERK loop AM 1000, although PL-300wt low selectivity to difficult transcontinental Dxing, but i liked very much the results.I am almost posting my logs here. "

Thank you for the information about your wonderful DXing results at Pontal do Atalaia with your Tecsun PL-300WT and TERK loop AM 1000, Milton. We will be very interested to read your DXing logs, and wish you the best of success with your new PL-380 model also.

73 and Best Wishes,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

In a message dated 2/1/2010 11:56:09 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, www-clorofila-up-to@... writes:

Hi Gary ,

Again, thanks for your attention.

Only now i read all your answer for complete.

I think that in the PL-380´s new version the soft-mute characteristic has been totally deactivated, but in the earlier version this resource had been only partially deactivated (reduced to a mininum level) . This is my principal concerning.

After now that i read your message for complete i could know about the comparison you made between your serial PL-380´s new´s version serial number and my PL-380´s number (older version) and i am convinced that my PL-380 is old version.

It remains to me to ask you, when and if possible, if the PL-380´s new version´s SW band would be more stable than old version ?

Thanks a lot again and i will decide what to do with Joyce, try to exchange or to buy a new version´s PL-380.

Thanks a lot Gary and many success in your highly experiments and logs that benefits for all world´s Dxer´s !

Recently i have done a individual mini Dx-Camp in a wonderful place here in Brasil coast, called "Pontal do Atalaia" - some hills (about 400m height) on the Atlantic coast of Arraial do Cabo city - (photos of local in Google) in December, 28 with my relatively old PL-300WT and my results were, in my vision, spetaculars because there are no kind of noises. I had to make wild camping to spend the dawn capturing only stations too week to meet the limit of my modified OM loopstick PL-300wt + TERK loop AM 1000, although PL-300wt low selectivity to difficult transcontinental Dxing, but i liked very much the results.I am almost posting my logs here.

Milton

Brasil

Re: [ultralightdx] I received my PL-380 today but don´t know if i
Posted by: "D1028Gary@aol.com" D1028Gary@aol.com dxergary
Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:04 pm (PST)

Hello Milton,

Thanks for your inquiry. The "new version" PL-380 models all have the
shipping box tuck-away flap marked with "2009.9 VER.2" (as in the photo below),
and the "old version" PL-380 models all have the same flap marked as
"2009.9 VER.1" This makes it very easy for a DXer to know which model is
enclosed.

Earlier this month I specifically ordered a "new version" PL-380 from
Joyce, who sent me a model with a serial number of 36920091201007. This model
was manufactured in December, which appears to be the first month that these
"new version" PL-380's were manufactured. Based on the serial number
difference (my new version 369200912xxxxx versus your radio's 369200910xxxxx)
and the fact that your PL-380 was manufactured in November, I'm quite sure
that you have an "old version" PL-380.

Despite this, all available evidence indicates that there is no significant
AM-DXing performance difference between the "new version" and "old
version" PL-380's. I have tested various models of both versions, and they both
perform equally well as AM-DXing radios, either as stock or modified models.
Accordingly, it is probably unnecessary for you to insist upon a "new
version" replacement from Joyce, if your primary objective is AM-DXing.

I will also paste below my response to a related message from "Jm392C,"
who also received one of these "new version" (S/N 369200912xxxxx) models this
month.

73 and Good DX,