Re: Damaged my Si4734

Roy <roy.dyball@...>

Scott I remember when I about 12 using an old automobiles ignition coil sparking madly and powered by an old valve radios HT transformer with a wire antenna to send mores code to my friend next door. The trouble was it radiated just about over the whole band and the neighbourhood and I was soon found out and received the proverbial kick in the rear end.

Neil

It would be a silly man who says not to worry about static discharge but in the thousands of operations on circuit boards I haven't damaged many chips. Maybe because I wear a lot of cotton cloths and I am aware of static when the need arises.

It is very difficult to ground AMI on the chip as it is on the lower circuit board. I think all you can do is tack a ground on the trace that the active antenna lead is going to be soldered to. I don't put the damage I caused down to static and no one else in the group has damaged their chip attaching loopstick wires. You may be able to utilise the break contact on most 3.5mm jacks to ground the antenna input lead when it is not plugged in. but after reading the detailed explanation of the Si4734 tuning process of feeding a signal onto that lead it may not be a good idea to use the radio with the with the antenna lead grounded. Maybe Scott can say if this is safe.

If you have any questions or need any help with the USB mod I will gladly help.

Cheers Roy.