Re: G8 signal strength meter

Roy <roy.dyball@...>

Jim you would really love the USB mod on the G8. You can completely turn the soft mute off and select the filter you want then disconnect it from the computer and use it in a normal manner away from the computer till power down and with good rechargeable batteries you can leave it on for days.

In some ways the G8 is superior to the PL-380 when set up on the computer. The Pl-380 still has a touch of soft mute. I turn the soft mute completely off with the software and the 1Khz filter sounds a bit clearer on the G8 as it has a different audio stage configuration and seems to be more punchy with a higher tone. I am really looking forward to trying out the 1.8Khz bandwidth and the 2.5Khz bandwidth, gradual roll off selections in the new Si4734-C40 ver40 firmware. I think the new PL-380 2009.9 ver2 may have the new chip but I don't think they have the new filter selection available.

You are probably better off with the clock selected because if you listen carefully on certain frequencies when you have the meter selected you can hear the local MCU perform the Received Signal Quality (RSQ) update. This is more noticeable with a larger loopstick.

Cheers Roy.