Re: Results of hunting for TP's

Gary DeBock

Hi Dennis,

     The TP's this morning sounded pretty anemic to me, compared to yesterday.  When chasing TP's with stock Ultralights, you are really at the mercy of propagation.  If you had tried yesterday (like Colin in Victoria, BC, who was thrilled to log JOIB-747 and JOUB-774 for his first stock Ultralight TP's), you might have scored big.

     Anyway, you'll have many more great chances coming up!  When using the 2010 as a spotting receiver, I put all the powerhouse TP frequencies in the 2010's upper memory buttons, in SSB mode.  You can check all of them for carrier strength within a minute.  If they all sound hopeless 30 minutes before sunrise, propagation is probably in the tank.  For me, that means pulling the switch.

     If your frequencies like 747, 774 and 828 show some fairly strong SSB carriers 30 minutes before sunrise, head for that beach!  Don't tune from the top of the band (or bottom of the band), just keep checking your Powerhouse TP frequencies in memory, and wait for one of them to come up to audio level.  Then, when audio is sufficiently strong on the 2010, go get them with your Ultralight.

     There is no doubt that you will have many chances to log booming TP's this fall, Dennis!  Follow the steps above, and you'll nail them very soon.

     73,  Gary