DX info from Puerto Rico: useful to US East Coast DXers

MarkWA1ION

Guido, I think it would be interesting if you did a "bandscan" of the night AM dial there in Puerto Rico. Some of the questions that might be answered:

What are the strongest stations from the US ? Any Canadians ?

Do Transatlantics show with regularity ? I'd expect some of the stations that can blast in here on the US mainland East Coast ... 1134, 1215, 1377, 1467, 1521, 1575, etc. ... could get pretty loud where you are, especially around sunset at seashore sites.

Do any South Americans really stand out in strength ? The Venezuelans on 750 and 1110, among others, can boom in here at times, 1500 miles farther north. Do you ever hear Brazil, e.g. the big ones on 1100 and 1220 ?

What do you hear from the other isles in the Caribbean ? At seashore sites not far from here, the St. Kitts - Nevis stations on 555, 820, and 895 are frequently noted, as well as Bonaire 800 and USVI 1620.

Puerto Ricans most frequently heard here in MA are 580, 630, and 680 (when I'm out at Rockport and can null superpest WRKO).

Are Cubans very prominent, or more covered up by the South Americans ?

Do you ever hear anything from the Central American countries (which tend not to be running much power) ? Is Mexico common, let's say around local dawn ?

I think that it's great that we have someone in the Caribbean, as well as DXers in Newfoundland and N. Ireland, on this list. That really gives US East Coast DXers a lot of vantage points for information that allows them to pick new target stations. This will definitely be the case in a few months when warmer weather comes and beach DXpeditioning becomes feasible again.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION - Billerica, MA + South Yarmouth, MA, USA

--- In ultralightdx@..., Guido Santacana <foxam2001@...> wrote:

Yes, there is a lot of confusion about Puerto Rico. The real story is that it has never been an independent country. It went from being a Spanish territory to a US territory 112 years ago. You can't imagine how many times I have to enter into a bit of PR history when I order radios or radio parts from the mainland and some companies insist on filling out customs papers as if they were sending the items to a foreign nation. In most cases I am successful but in a minority of cases the papers are sent and the US postal service here does not even look at them! BTW support for independence here has plummeted from 10% in the 70s to 2% in the present. Well, back to radio again. Just wanted to clear up some facts regarding PR. For those trying good catches from PR, a very powerful station here is WAPA (680kHz) and a less powerful english station is WOSO(1030kHz). Very popular ones are WKAQ(580kHz) and WUNO(630kHz). All of them are in San Juan. Good hunting!

73s
Guido KP4FAR
San Juan, PR-USA