Re: Early results of 7.5" Amidion rod

Gary DeBock

Hi Roy,

Your detailed explanation of the Si4734 control interface (and recommendation to take full advantage of the programming manual) are greatly appreciated, and I'm grateful for your thorough description of how the capacitance value returned by the Si4734 DSP chip can allow us to determine the tuning function of the chip, in its operation with loopsticks of various ferrite mixes and inductances. Thank you very much for patiently explaining all these details to me, in a very understandable description.

In the same way, I'll certainly do my best to patiently digest all the essential information you have provided, in order to have a more thorough understanding of the chip's tuning operation.

I must apologize for the delay in responding to your very helpful post, primarily because of going off in a tangent to attempt creation of a more effective in-cabinet loopstick for the PL-380 model. After receiving various short type 61 ferrite bars from Amidon, a quick investigation of the internal cabinet space in the model convinced me that a messy plastic cutout to accommodate the cylindrical type 61 ferrite bars was impractical. The model does have significant open space around the loopstick slot, but from experience I know that strange side effects can happen in a model when serious "plastic surgery" is attempted. In the absence of a type 61 ferrite bar identical in size and shape to the flat stock bar (apparently unavailable anywhere), the only practical option was to recycle the stock bar with superior 40/44 Litz wire. It was hoped that this ultra-cheap modification would provide a significant AM sensitivity upgrade for the model, but frankly it was a stab in the dark.

The flat design of the stock bar made it ludicrous to attempt the use of a Slider coil for inductance-optimizing experiments (as you probably guessed), so my only coil tuning option was to wind the coil, and fine-tune the high AM band inductance by subtracting coil turns one by one, to unlock the Si4734 varactor operation for maximum AM sensitivity. To my relief this low-tech strategy worked like a charm, with the radio suddenly booming to life on 1700 kHz when I subracted the final Litz wire turn, bringing the inductance down to 433 uh (from an original value of 510 uh). The PL-380 then had great reception from 530-1700 kHz, with an average 4 dBu increase in RSSI readings across the MW spectrum. On LW the sensitivity boost was even more impressive, with 4 NDB beacons audible on the modified model that were completely absent on the stock PL-380.

My second modified PL-380 model was completed this morning, and Steve has also completed a similar experiment, apparently with equivalent results. Sorry again about the delay in responding to your excellent and informative post, but I suppose that one of the congenital quirks of a confirmed tinkerer is that new, bizarre projects are commenced on the spur of a moment :-)

73, Gary

In a message dated 1/16/2010 11:50:10 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, roy.dyball@... writes:

Hi Gary

The Si4734 is a very clever and complex chip at the digital and engineering level and has many facets. However the designers have been able to remove most of the complexity for the person wanting to use the chip by having the chip respond to commands issued to through a control interface (2wires or 3wires). All of these commands are listed and dealt with in detail in the programming manual. It looks complicated when you first look at it but don't let it scare you away. It is written in such a way that not much digital knowledge is required.

Along with issuing commands you can also get answers as to what is going on inside the chip. These answers come back as simple binary bytes and when converted to decimal just look like a range of numbers e.g. 0-127, in this case this could represent the value of the RSSI or the S/N ratio. You can also request that the chip tell you what value of capacitance it has just used to tune in a station you have just selected. This once again comes back and when converted to decimal represents a number within its range, every time the number goes up by one the capacitance used to tune the loopstick goes up by 0.095pf. So knowing this capacitance we can use the Si4734 chip as a pretty acuate L/C meter one that will take into account the broad range of materials we are using in our loopstick e.g. the type of ferrite.

The discussion with Scott was how to know what the correct single figure inductance is of the loopstick coil over the whole tuning range. At the moment my software is just taking the value of capacitance required to tune in a station at a particular frequency  and using our old faithful formula of one on two pi square route LC to calculate the inductance e.g. if the chip told me the capacitance was 343.3pf when tuned to 520Khz I would know that the loopstick inductance at that frequency was 272.88 µh. When the same coil is tuned to 1710Khz the chip tells me that 20.87pf has been used to tune the loopstick and this equates to an inductance of 415.09 µh. These figures are great and I have been able to use them to tell when the coil is resonating properly within range of the varactor as in the above example.

Scott has now kindly shown me how to equate the two figures (above) that are always different and produce a single figure for the inductance of the loopstick being an accurate representation of the inductance wound on the loopstick. I will now be able to have a single button in my software that when pressed will act like an L/C meter but actually take into account what the chip is seeing.

I advise everybody to have a look at the programming manual just to get an idea what this chip is capable of and how it goes about it. The manual is one of the best written and easy to follow programming manuals I have seen.

Cheers Roy.