TECH: PL310 stock loopstick tested

Steve Ratzlaff <steveratz@...>

I removed the Tecsun PL310 stock loopstick today and checked it on the HP4342A Q meter. Since this model ULR is about the only one that will receive anything on LF (my closest LF NDB is 20 miles away, on 296 kHz), I was curious how the loopstick measured. Bottom line is this loopstick works has very low Q at MW above about 1000 kHz and is optimized more for LF reception!
I will have to check the loopstick in my PL380 next and see if it's similar, though that model doesn't hear anything on LF even though the loopsticks look the same visually.

The PL310 loopstick measured 322 uH at 796 kHz, with a Q of 86. (The Q meter uses certain fixed frequencies on various ranges when measuring inductance; a range is chosen to peak the Q for a given inductance being tested, then the inductance is read off the dial.)

1500 kHz Q 20 (that's the highest frequency I could check Q at since the Q meter's variable cap was at its minimum setting)
1300 kHz Q 31
900 kHz Q 71
700 kHz Q 106
530 kHz Q 160