Re: Tecsun PL-310/380 Inductive Coupling to External Anten...

Gary DeBock

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the interesting question about the performance of stock and modified Ultralight radios with large loops.

Many DXers have been puzzled why their sensitive AM portables (like the Sony ICF-S5W, ICF-EX5 or Panasonic RF-2200) don't receive much of a signal boost from their smaller tuned passive loops (Select-a-Tenna, Terk Advantage, Q-stick etc.) while their smaller Ultralight radios (like the SRF-59, DT-400W etc.) get a very serious signal enhancement from the same external antennas. Probably the best explanation is that the external loop's weak-signal reception capability must be much greater than that of the portable's stock loopstick, in order to make much of a difference in DXing performance.

The 7.5" loopstick-modified Ultralights ( "Amidon PL-380," Slider E100, Slider SWP, etc.) behave exactly like the most sensitive AM portables in this regard, receiving almost no signal boost from the smaller tuned passive loops. The stand-alone DXing performance of these modified Ultralights often equals or exceeds that of the stock model inductively coupled to the same loops, so that's probably no big surprise.

The DXing performance difference between stock and modified Ultralights (and the very sensitive AM portables) disappears as the loops get larger, however. From my experience, the tuned passive loops about 6' and larger (per side) provide the same huge signal enhancement to any portable brought within inductive coupling range, whether it is a stock PL-380, Amidon PL-380, ICF-S5W or even the 30" loopstick ICF-2010. All of these portables simply get "swamped" by the RF boost provided by the large loops, so there really is no difference in the strength of the DX signal received (although there is a big difference in how well the portables can handle the massive RF, depending upon their selectivity, and "crunch resistance").

After discovering this fact, I had a blast using one of the smallest Ultralights on the planet (the lighter-sized Sony SRF-S84) inductively coupled to the 9' PVC loop, and discovering it could easily receive multiple exotic TP's (as soon as I could figure out what frequency I was on :-)

73, Gary

In a message dated 1/13/2010 7:00:04 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, satya@... writes:

Hi Gary/all:

Thanks for giving us the blow-by-blow on this! This is a good guide to the procedure.

This is similar to what I did when I was out at the beach with my little active-passive loop, the tuning of which is very precise and so it's easy to miss where I am actually trying to be. Using the Sony 7600GR and its fairly useless tuning LCD indicator as a spotter, I would set it to SSB in order to get a het on a TP/TA, then tune the loop aurally to the het - this actually works pretty well since the het really jumps out, and is about as tough to miss as the Christmas tree lights on the 2010 :-). I would then do as Gary suggests - move the spotter aside and put the Ultralight in its place (or simply retune the Ultralight if coupling it to the loop with a little ferrite coupler, which is more convenient and provides better signal transfer).

Gary - with a large loop, do you notice any difference in the resultant signal strength between a stock PL-380 and an Amidon PL-380? It seems that if the loop is big enough, it would more or less completely dictate the signal level, making the stock PL-380 viable as a TA/TP receiver if one has a big loop in the mix.

Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA