From: "keith beesley" <keith1226@...>
To: ultralightdx@...
Sent: 1/3/2010 8:44 AM
Subject: Re: [ultralightdx] Something Weird on 1250 Today

Scott,

I don't know the answer, but two possibilities occur to me:

Number one, your c & w station may be undergoing a format change. Sometimes when stations are in the process of flipping formats, e.g. from country to oldies, they may play a lot of songs in a row, with few or no voice announcements, maybe just a brief, five or ten second recorded station i.d. at the top of each hour. This can go on for hours, even several days.

Number two, sometimes stations are "brokered," that is, instead of having commercials, they sell blocks of air time to basically anybody who wants to go on the air and can afford the time. This is similar to the infomercials you see on TV for the Snuggie, Sham-Wow, etc. There's a station in my market, Seattle, KKNW, "Alternative Talk 1150", that does this. Programming can be radically different from one hour of the day to the next. I've heard programs on astrology, followed by Christian religious programming, following by Russian language programming, followed by high-school sports, all in the same day on the same station!

Regards,
Keith