Re: High-Q Mini-Loop for Ultralights

dhsatyadhana <satya@...>

Hey Gary:

I've got the Quantum Stick as well - very nice for travel, and LW to
boot, plus it acts as a coupler. As you say, for some reason it
doesn't seem to do much for certain receivers - I get something on my
Eton e100, but not as much as I would expect. In fact, with most of
my Ultralights, the positioning seems to be the key - very finicky to
find the right position. Try putting the Q-Stick on the side of the
receiver such that the ferrite of the Q-Stick is in-line with the
ferrite in the e100 - this adjacent orientation seems to work better
than when the Q-Stick and receiver are face-to-face.

In comparing the Q-Stick and my home-brew just now with a variety of
ULRs and the Sony 7600GR, the gain and tuning sharpness on the home-
brew was substantially greater, often the difference between mumbling
audio and discernable reception, so it's become an instant accessory
in my ULR arsenal.

73 - Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA

As another alternative "portable" MW antenna for ultralights, the
Quantum Q-Stick works well with the DT-200VX (and presumably with
the DT-400W). Unfortunately, it doesn't do much at all with the
E100, which is a shame. It also works well with the larger E10 and
7600GR.

Regards,
Gary