Re: High-Q Mini-Loop for Ultralights

Gary Kinsman

Hello all,

As another alternative "portable" MW antenna for ultralights, the
Quantum Q-Stick works well with the DT-200VX (and presumably with
the DT-400W). Unfortunately, it doesn't do much at all with the
E100, which is a shame. It also works well with the larger E10 and
7600GR.

Regards,
Gary

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "dhsatyadhana" <satya@...>
wrote:

Hi all:

I just posted a couple photos of a recent project on the
UltraLight DX Yahoo group. I recently got a high-Q basketweave
loop on eBay from the seller "noseknowsnose". It's a 3.5" Litz
coil with a Q around 800. I popped it into a small plastic box
designed for old PC diskettes, used double-stick foam tape to put
a 2x260 variable cap on, and Voila! I stuffed some tissue in the
box to keep the coil from bouncing around -
really high-tech at this point...

The high Q of the loop really adds tuning sharpness to
UltraLights, making it easier to shade one sideband over the other
or notch a pest out of the way. The gain is pretty good as well.

73 - Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA