Re: Sony 7600GR (was Stock Sangean DT-400W Receives 6 TP's at Grayland)

satya@...

Hey John:

I'm in agreement with everything Gary says. I also like the
3-point-something khz SSB filter for ECSS work - SSB is quite usable after
the BFO has 15-20 minutes to stabilize (initially, it is nothing but
warbling..). I also like the continuously-variable RF gain, which makes
passive phasing of locals easier, as I can knock them down a bit to find
the null. The 910 khz images can be annoying, but would not be an issue
out at the beach. My synch doesn't have a muffled sideband - not sure how
common that is (or maybe they both are muffled, since regular AM mode has
noticeably better fidelity...).

Kevin

Hi John,

Yes, the 7600GR has "real SSB." There is a switch on the side of the
radio to select USB or LSB.

The smallest discrete tuning step (and display increment) is 1 kHz.
There is an analog SSB fine tuning control wheel that permits very
clear reception of SSB for such a small portable. It actually
receives SSB better than a 2010, because the latter uses 100 Hz
steps, but on the 7600GR the SSB fine tuning is "stepless."

Here are some other pros/cons of the 7600GR:

Pros
- Very good build quality (made in Japan, believe it or not)
- Selectable sideband sync detector (not as good as that on the
2010, Sat 800 or E1, but still useful to reduce selective fading
distortion or interference)
- Couples very well with the Quantum Q-Stick (I believe Gerry Thomas
designed the Q-Stick for use with his 7600G, which preceded the GR)
- 100 memories (10 pages of 10)

Cons
- Sound quality is somewhat muffled on AM (especially compared to
the E10 or E100)
- No tuning meter (only a "Tune" indicator on the LCD)
- No tuning knob (just fast/slow buttons -- 10/9 kHz or 1 kHz on MW,
5 kHz or 1 kHz on SW)
- One side band is usually more muffled than the other in sync mode,
as delivered (this can be adjusted fairly easily)

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Gary

--- In ultralightdx@..., "John H. Bryant"
<bjohnorcas@...> wrote:

Gary,

Thanks for your comparison of the 7600GR, the E10 and the E100.
Very interesting. I'm still looking for a small spotting receiver
and I know that Gary DeB really likes the 7600GR. Could you help
me out by describing a couple of things:

Is the SSB on the 7600GR a "real SSB," allowing the selection of
USB or LSB???

What tuning rates can you use to tune across MW in SSB??? Please
be 0.1 kHz as one choice :>)

THANKS!
John B.