Re: E100 "birdies" near 640 kHz

Gary Kinsman

Hi Kevin,

I live in Simi Valley, about 50 miles from KFI's location.

I was originally thinking along the same lines, but I don't have a
strong local on 1550, and rotating the radio doesn't change the
intensity of the het.

BTW, I think my E100 display is off in the opposite direction. When
the display shows 1 kHz high, the radio is tuned closer to the
desired frequency than when the display shows on frequency. In other
words, for 640 kHz, the display will show 641 kHz when tuned for
best reception.

Regards,
Gary

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, satya@... wrote:

Hey Gary:

You may be hearing an image two IF freqs (2 x 455 = 910) down from
a strong local, which is heterodyning with another station on 640;
do you have a fairly strong local station at 1550?

I have two locals at 1590 and 1680, and I get strong hets (if not
audio) on 680 and 770, respectively, especially during the day.
If I null 1590 and 1680, the hets down-band go away. So, maybe try
tuning to 640 and rotate the e100 to minimize the het, which might
tell you what direction the offending local is in?

Note also that the digital display on the e100 has been known to
be a khz off, so what appears to be 638 or 639 could actually be
639 or 640.

73 - Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA