Re: Stock Sangean DT-400W Receives 6 TP's at Grayland

Gary DeBock

Hi Richard,

     I'm sorry that your new DT-400W isn't performing to your expectations, and yes, with other models there has been a wide variation in quality control at the Chinese factories for AM alignments.  Being aware of this, before recommending the DT-400W as a top performer, I ordered three units from Amazon and tested out all three to ensure that the high sensitivity wasn't a rare fluke.  They all performed equally well here, although it's certainly possible that all of mine were from one factory, and that other factories may not be so diligent in ensuring top sensitivity. Other DT-400W users have seemed pleased with the sensitivity so far, but there certainly could be some yellow-colored lemons around.

     Any DT-400W can be easily aligned for optimum low-band sensitivity simply by peaking the loopstick coil on a 600 kHz weak signal, but this new unit's redesigned RF board has the 1400 kHz trimmer in an inaccessible position when in the operating configuration, which makes it impossible to align without multiple jumpers (which I'm sure Sangean uses for its own alignments).  Normally I would attempt to construct such an alignment setup, but with 14 close-spaced jumpers required, I decided to wait until my schedule isn't so crammed.

      If you order another DT-400W and it also doesn't perform to your satisfaction, Richard, please let us know ASAP.  We may need to keep a serial number data base for inadequate units, like John did for the inferior "new" E100's.

     73,  Gary