Re: Eton E100 tuning via knob

Gary Kinsman

Hi Gary,

After pulling the back off of my E100 using John's instructions, I
immediately saw the problem: the "disk" on the tuning shaft was
rubbing on the inside of the case, so much so that it caused the
section of the case through which the tuning shaft goes to move in
and out slightly on every rotation of the knob.

I figured I could solve the problem by putting a shim between the
inside edge of the case and the inner frame of the radio. I found an
O-ring with the proper thickness and diameter, cut a small section
out of it, then placed it appropriately. This stopped the binding of
the tuning knob on part of its rotation. It rotates fairly easily
over its whole rotation now, with minimal friction.

The tuning encoder is still kind of finicky. On some parts of the
rotation it's very easy to get accurate 1 kHz increments. On other
parts of the rotation it requires some care to avoid getting 0 kHz
or 2 kHz increments instead. I think my E10 does the same thing, so
this is probably common with these cheap encoders. Since I only use
the tuning knob for fine tuning -- it's too slow for anything else --
I may put a white mark on the knob, centered on the best part of
the rotation, for easy reference.

It's funny that you mentioned the antenna wire breaking off -- mine
did exactly that. It looks like it may have just been hanging by a
thread. Since the contact is fixed the the back of the plastic case,
I didn't want to solder it, because it might melt the case. I simply
stripped the end of the wire, then placed it between the threaded,
square antenna mounting end and the contact that is fixed to the
back of the case, then carefully tightened the screw that holds the
antenna to the case. Not elegant, but it seems to work just fine.

Having 1 kHz tuning steps is a big advantage of the E100 over the
other ultralights, but I notice that my E100 is far more prone to
hets than my DT-200VX, sometimes even on strong, local stations.
Usually tuning 1 or 2 kHz up or down can get rid of the hets on the
E100, but not always. The DT-200VX rarely has hets when tuned to the
same frequency as the E100. I suspect that the stock IF filter in
the E100 is somewhat wider than the one in the DT-200VX.

Regards,
Gary

Gary,

In general, the "old" E100's have a pretty good quality
control record, but I have seen a defective stock loopstick, and
a couple of new units with whip antenna wires broken off.
Eventually the E100 owners will have a detailed record of
potential problems, and how to solve them. If you can solve
your tuning shaft problem by disassembly or lubrication, please
let us know about your procedure. Otherwise, an owner with an
inoperative E100 might have a part you need, or you could track
down a parts unit on eBay, usually very
cheaply.

73, Gary