Re: Tecsun PL-310-- A Possible Ultralight After All?

ronshire2000

that multiplies out to 20.199375 cubic inches or rounded to 20.2
Ron

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "John H. Bryant" <bjohnorcas@...> wrote:

Thanks for the measurements, Jerry.

Your numbers multiply out to 20.019 cu.in. plus the tuning knob
itself. Looks to me like we'll have to wait on Kevin's official
calipers and then a decision by the Definitions Committee. Man, I'm
glad that I'm NOT on the DefComm.

John Bryant
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Winradio G313e and various Ultralights
Wellbrook Phased Array + Superloops

At 02:24 AM 10/9/2009 +0000, gerfmon wrote:

Ok, I pulled out my caliper and I measure:

5.32 inches wide.
5.52 inches wide including the tuning knob on the side.
3.375 inches tall.
1.125 inches deep.

My insights on the radio so far as compared to my Grundig G8:

1.Longwave is about the same as the G8 - pretty deaf without an
external antenna.

2.Medium wave is slightly more sensitive than my G8. I can just
start to hear KLOE, Goodland, KS, 1000 watts, 190 miles away during
the daylight hours, using the stock antenna. I cannot copy it at all
using the G8 with stock antenna.

3.Shortwave is quite a bit more sensitive than my G8. Radio New
Zealand on 15.720 tonight was 15 DBu and a bit of a hard copy on the
G8. At the same time it was 28 DBu and pretty good copy using the PL-310.

4.FM is a little less sensitive than the G8 but the selectivity
remains very good. I can weakly copy a station from Cheyenne, WY on
93.7 MHz with the G8. At the same time, I can barely tell it's there
using the PL-310.

5.The narrow bandwidths (3, 2, and 1 KHz) work pretty well to
eliminate co-channel interference. Surprising, the audio is not that
muffled even at 1 KHz.

6.Contrary to my earlier post, the soft muting is still just as
annoying on weak stations as on the G8.

6.My biggest gripe so far...the tuning step size jumps around out of
control. Whether I'm moving the tuning dial very slow, slow, or even
fast, one second the tuning is moving in 1 KHz increments, the next
second in 10 KHz increments, then back to 1 KHz. Sometimes makes it
a real PITA to zero in a frequency.

Those of you that have your radios now, please let me know if the
tuning step thing is "as designed" or if I've got another problem
with my PL-310.

73,
Jerry, KD0GS
Longmont, CO