Re: Tecsun PL-310-- A Possible Ultralight After All?

Joshua Everett

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 8:34 PM, <D1028Gary@...> wrote:

Hello All,

Like many others, I received my new Tecsun PL-310 from "Anon-co" today-- and immediately pulled out a ruler. Like John Bryant and many others, I was intensely interested in whether or not the radio would exceed the 20 cubic inch limit, the barrier of consensus for Ultralight radio status.

It turns out that the PL-310 is much closer to the 20 cubic inch limit than we originally thought-- in fact is almost exactly on the borderline. My own unscientific measurements place the dimensions as 5.4" x 3.35" x 1.1", for a volume of 19.899 cubic inches (!). Whether or not this model qualifies as an Ultralight radio is not up to me (but to the Definitions Committee), but I thought that this information would be of interest to those who might wish to order one.

I will be testing the sensitivity, selectivity and quirks of this model extensively in the next few days, along with the other purchasers of this "flagship" DSP model from Tecsun. It appears to be worth the wait!

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)