Re: Toshiba RP-F11

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

Steve,

I doubt that there will be flame attacks here... I think most folks here are old enough to know several things like a)DXing is an Art, not a Science, 2)When we are operating at the threshold of intelligibility, errors are bound to occur 3)The ionosphere is a bumpy, unpredictable, non-linear mess (thank goodness.) 4) Flame throwing really damps down free exchange of ideas and information and causes some of the best,  most creative people to look elsewhere for friends....

So, I think that I can speak for all in saying that we are really glad that you've joined this little Corner of Joy that we have going in the hobby.  We look forward to more notes from you, loggings, etc., and I personally, look forward to seeing you in the awards program one of these days.  Some of the beginning awards are relatively easy to achieve... but they get challenging in a hurry :>)

John B.

At 12:22 AM 7/31/2008 -0500, you wrote:

John,

Methinks I may have muddied the waters a bit. Sorry for all
the confusion, especially coming from a newbie to the group
like myself.

I think the folks at Universal Radio are the ones that are
confused. The dimensions I used for the RP-F11 in my first
e-mail came from this page:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/RPF11.html

which are "5.1 x 3.1 x 1.1 inches" or 17.391 cubic inches.

But, like you discovered, another click to this page:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/RPF11s.html

reveals another set of dimensions which are
"7.8 x 4.5 x 1.325 inches" or 46.5075 cubic inches, which
completely blows it out of the water as being an UL radio.

So, I dug through Fibber McGee's closet and found my very
own RP-F11 and measured it. Here are my findings:

7.625 x 4.5 x 1.25 inches, or 42.89 cubic inches.

Bottom Line - NOT QUALIFIED as an Ultralight.

So, once again, sorry for making a mountain out of a
molehill. I'm just happy that all of this got me motivated
to dig my RP-F11 out of the "Radio Archives."

BTW - The RP-F11 was also sold as the Kenwood R-11 in
certain parts of the world.

Thanks, everybody, for humouring me and not flaming me
as would have happened in other not-to-be-named radio
reflectors.

73 & Great DX,

Steve N5WBI
Houston TX