Re: MW Image Discovered on E-100

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

Steve,

Gary is on vacation and I'm taking the "general ultralight questions" while he is gone.  In reference to your question about the Toshiba RP-F11, the general concept of Ultralight DXing is to limit ourselves to "entertainment grade" pocket portables to emphasize DX challenge and DXer knowledge/skill rather than the equipment. The Definitions Committee needed to find a way to separate "enthusiast radios" from "entertainment grade".... Obviously some of the mega-buck ICOM hand-helds, the smallest of which meet our size requirements, are enthusiast radios. Its the gray area in the middle that they found difficult to decide.  Finally, looking at the SRF-59 as the ancestor receiver for this hobby, but accepting digital dials as now being the norm in entertainment grade gear, too, they decided that the capabilities that denote non-compliant "enthusiast grade" in hand-held portables is SSB capability (a huge advantage in TA and TP reception) and double conversion. So the nifty G6 from Grundig is eliminated (SSB), as is the RP-F11 that you mentioned (double conversion.)

Honestly, there are those of us not on the Committee (like me) who think that the E100 with digital dial and 1 kHz. resolution (the latter a real boon in TA/TP work) is already over the line into enthusiast radios, despite being single conversion and no SSB.... However, that decision was made long ago and won't be rescinded... and I might point out, I own a whole double handful of E100s... and love them!

There will always be the desire on most of our parts (including mine) for a better receiver, but still within the bounds of Ultralighting... I hope that we all keep looking.

Steve, you might also consider getting into the Unlimited Class of modified Ultralights... there actually are limits to the modifications allowed (See Definitions in the Ultralight File @ DXer.ca), but its the way that I relieve the frustration of limited equipment.... and messing with these things is reactively lo-tech, inexpensive and loads of fun.

Thanks for asking!

John B.
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, Ultralights
Antennas: Two 70' x 100' Conti Super Loops, West and Northwest

At 04:55 PM 7/30/2008 +0000, you wrote:

Gary,

Thanks for the great info!

The 570/1480 image problem, to the best of my knowledge, is the only
such problem I've encountered with my radios here in Houston. Looking
at KLVL-1480's antenna patterns, I see that I'm directly in their
"gun-sights" for both day and night. That may explain a lot of why
they're such a pest.

Otherwise, the E-100 has turned out to be a great little radio. I still
haven't had a lot of time to give it a full test, though. Maybe this
weekend (?).

Do you know of any ultralights that employ dual conversion on
mediumwave?

Also, I have a Toshiba RP-F11 that measures 5.1 x 3.1 x 1.1 inches
(17.391 cu. in.). Would it be considered an ultralight? A good
picture can be found at:

http://www.universal-radio.com/used/UP86lrg.jpg

73 & GREAT DX,

Steve N5WBI