Re: What is best method for recording DX from an ULR?

satya@...

Hi Richard:

I use an Olympus WS-300 flash drive (solid state) recorder and love it,
since it's samll, runs about 20 hours on a single AAA battery, and can
immediattely be loaded onto the computer for editing and archiving.

How I solved the impedance and overload problem (some of you may laugh...)
was:
- take a patch cord with 1/8" stereo male plugs and cut it in half
- on both resulting pieces, strip the leads and tie the two insulated
"positive" leads together on each, leaving a single combined "positive"
lead plus the braid as the negative. Monophonic is fine for my DXing
purposes, but the recorder needs to see a stereo plug.
- Recombine the two pieces into a single cable, putting a 0-10K resistor
in series between the positive leads. The two negative braids are
directly tied together.
- I put a 25 ohm resistor across the positive and negative, which
apparently allows the recorder to "see" an impedance it likes. Plus, it
absorbs a lot of energy which otherwise distorts the recording: just the
10K pot was too iffy on finding a good recording level.

I plug one end into the receiver and the other into the MIC jack of the
recorder. I then plug my headphones into the recorder so I can listen as
I record. The Olympus has an LCD "VU meter", which helps, although my
ears are very good at telling if I'm overloading or underdriving the
recorder. Underdriving produces digital artifacts which sound like a
light (and annoying) wind chime when you play it back.

Hope this helps!

73 - Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA

I have a question or two on recording DX from a ULR.

I realize the recorder has to share the receiver's audio output with
the headphones. But how do you handle the impedance mismatch between
the receiver and recorder?

In keeping with our ultralight theme, do you prefer a mini-disc or
solid-state digital recorders over cassette tape? Does anyone have
any recommendations in this area? Thus far I leaning toward a
mini-disc recorder which I understand is already obsolete.

Thanks for the help.

Richard N. Allen,
DXing since 1960.