Re: DT-200VX vs.E100 Comments

Gary DeBock

Mark and Others,

     E100 experimentation here has already produced models significantly more sensitive than a stock 2010, but we (John, Guy and I) are attempting to create radios with both sensitivity and selectivity improvements, which will be capable of receiving multiple DU's on ocean beaches this summer.

     Receiving DU's on Ultralights is a tough challenge, because not only are signal levels generally weak, but the directional bearings are usually in-line with Seattle and Vancouver adjacent QRM, making it impossible to null the locals.  It's almost the same situation as you described a few months ago, referring to QRM from NYC and other semi-locals, as you chase TA's in Massachusetts--  only in this case, the DX is much weaker.  John was able to log multiple DU's at Grayland with his directional Wellbrook array hooked up to an E100, but for stock Ultralights, the DU action has been rare indeed.  Last Sunday at Grayland I was able to barely hear audio on 738-Tahiti on an SRF-T615, and on April 20th, had unID audio on 531 looping in the DU direction.  But the tinkerers here in WA are looking for a lot more than that, hi.

     In about a month or so, Mark, it should be clear how successful we will be, in creating the "Ultimate DXpedition Ultralight."  Assuming there is progress, I would be happy to modify an E100 for you, although it would be primarily for fun, not $$.  We hope many more highly successful DXpeditioners like yourself will take up the challenge of Ultralight TA chasing, especially if the E100 can be hot-rodded into a "dream machine."

                                                                       73,  Gary