Re: An introduction

Gary DeBock

Hello Richard,

     Thanks for the introduction, and welcome to the Ultralight DX group!  We all have differing reasons for taking up the challenge of pocket radio DXing, but the common denominator seems to be that it reminds us of our childhood days, when we thrilled to the reception of distant AM stations on a pocket transistor radio.

     My own experience was typical, having received a pocket transistor as an 8-year old for Christmas, in 1961.  The excitement of hearing stations in different states and provinces is something I'll never forget, and today's Ultralight DX competition is something that brings back that original excitement, at least for me.

     Most of us moved on to bigger and better radios, large antennas, and even ham radio's multiple challenges, but we have never forgotten our childhood fun of DXing with a pocket portable. Since the SRF-59-related Ultralight phenomena started in November, the explosive growth in the enthusiast group has primarily been related to nostalgia, in my opinion. Today's pocket radios have fantastic innovation and technical superiority, but we are the same excited operators that we were 40 years ago.  The only difference is that now, we are using them to receive Asia, Europe, Africa and Australia  :>)

                                                                 73,    Gary DeBock