Re: MW Radio and Antenna Receiving System Physical Size

Gary DeBock

On Sun, Oct 2, 2022 at 04:35 PM, Todd wrote:
Because of the high local MW signal levels at my home, a passive high Q loop design was essential. I constructed Gary's 4-leg PVC 9-turn 40 inch side length table top with excellent results. A smaller 2 ft side length PVC circular 'hula hoop' compliments the larger loop for more frequent kitchen benchtop monitoring. Based on certain other DXers' reports, the general DX pickup results compare favourably with 5" or 7" FSLs.
Thanks Todd,

The PVC-frame tuned passive loops do indeed still have a place in portable and Ultralight radio DXing, offering high gain at a relatively cheap price. Before the introduction of modern FSL antennas in 2011, this type of antenna was my primary gain booster for transoceanic DXing.

For those who have never investigated this type of antenna, the construction details for Todd's 9-turn 40 inch side length( table top) model are contained in the major 2009 article, "The PVC Loop-- Low Cost Ticket to High DX Gain, " posted at
https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/28nwynjluvrtr00nwzkr27x4ek9ha7w5
Any one of these PVC loops will make you wonder how the Tecsun AN-200 ever got out of China. You can even use the article to build a 9 foot 1 inch box loop, if your wife (or partner) has superior tolerance.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)