Re: August 1-4 Rockwork Cliff Portable + FSL Antenna Highlights & MP3's

Michael.2E0IHW

Envy ^10 !

If only I had a huge  semi-parabolic rockwall reflector...

Michael UK

On Saturday, August 13, 2022, 02:15:02 AM PDT, Gary DeBock via groups.io <d1028gary@...> wrote:

From August 1-4 the Rockwork 4 ocean cliff near Manzanita, Oregon was once again the scenic venue for all-out DU-DXing with simple portables (CC Skywave and XHDATA D-808 models) and several 6 inch (15cm) FSL antennas on 4 foot (1.2m) PVC bases. My trip coincided with DXpedition partner Tom Rothlisberger (who used an SDR and broadband loop) only on the August 4th session.

In contrast to last year's record breaking DXpedition the Australian propagation was limited, but the New Zealand stations were as strong as ever, along with 1017-Tonga and (sometimes) 558-Fiji. The Highway 101 turnoff always had a few "interlopers" to make antenna setup interesting, but as far as I know both Tom and I were always able to set up as we desired in the predawn darkness. Highlights were exceptional signals from low-powered Kiwis like 765-Kahungunu and 936-Chinese Voice on August 1st, an excellent session for 558-Radio Fiji One on August 2nd and the chance (along with Tom) to enjoy romping Kiwi low and mid-band propagation-- something fairly unique among west coast reports this season. Although Longwave action was very limited the Kiwi MW signals were memorable indeed, and well worth the trip.