Re: Very long-distance MW, 4 400 miles

keith beesley

Hi Andre,

It is possible, but I'd also check and see if there if there is a station on that frequency broadcasting in Arabic in your country or an adjacent country (possibly to an Arabic-speaking minority?).

Keith Beesley
Seattle USA

On Thursday, July 7, 2022 at 03:36:40 PM PDT, Steve Whitt <mwneditor@...> wrote:

Hi Andre

Nice catch but there are a few possible candidates. Algeria is possible. But so is Saudi Arabia. However the strongest station might be BBC Arabic Service from Oman.

To answer your question about distance. 4400 miles is certainly possible.

In fact in this month’s Medium Wave News we have a report from Cape Point Nature Reserve Loggings and Blombosch Nature Reserve in South Africa. Listeners there heard many faraway MW stations.

Here’s a taster of what was heard…

kHz

Callsign

Station, location; details heard etc

UTC

Date

675

6BE

Kimberley, AUSTRALIA; Usual fanfare then ABC News

1700

27/04

684

MBC

MAURITIUS; ID's in FF, 50's mx, also on 27/04 @ 1700, ID's for
“Kool FM”

1805

1/5

720

6WF

Perth, AUSTRALIA; Fanfare then ABC news severe splatter from
local on 729

1700

27/04

760

 R Quito, Quito ECUADOR; SS w ann & National anthem
(confirmed its Ecuador with a YouTube match)

0500

28/04

864

6CE

Carnarvon, AUSTRALIA; Fanfare then ABC news

1700

27/04

882

6PR

Perth, AUSTRALIA; w ads, and “good morning, its a Monday”

1843

28/04

1010

WJXL

Jacksonville Beach FL; ID

0457

1/5

1010

WINS

NY; ID

0400

1/5

1020

KCKN

Roswell NM; // 1330 w affiliate ID's Radio Visión Cristiana

0500

1/5

The trick was the choice of receiver/antenna and good timing.

You should have lots of opportunity in South Africa if you can get outdoors away from urban electrical interference.

Good luck

Steve