From: jgriff670@...
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
Sent: Sat, Jun 18, 2022 9:50 am
Subject: [UltralightDX] Ferrite antenna advice for LW

I have a Tecsun PL-330 which is known to be very deaf on LW. I also have a Roberts R993 (quite basic transistor radio) which has very good LW sensitivity. As a little project, I took the internal ferrite antenna for the Roberts and used it to make an external antenna for the Tecsun, following a procedure analogous to the one here https://swling.com/blog/tag/xhdata-d-808-modifications/ - I simply soldered the ends of the LW coil to a 3.5mm plug which is then inserted into the external antenna jack on the Tecsun

However, this only gives the Tecsun about the same sensitivity as when using its own non-optimal internal ferrite antenna. Can anyone advise me on how I could improve the LW sensitivity further? Would it help to include a variable capacitor to tune the receiver coil? Should I be able to expect the Tecsun to get the same sensitivity as a transistor radio with the same ferrite antenna or is there another reason why transistor radios perform better for LW?

I am a complete beginner so any advice would be appreciated!