TEST MATERIAL UPDATE- WCGA 1100 kHz "May Day" Maintenance DX Test --- Sunday, May 1 Midnight to 2 AM EDT (0400-0600 UTC)

Les Rayburn

The test will consist of lots of the usual sweep tones, off-hook telephone signals, iPhone ringer, etc as well as Morse Code ID’s at 12 WPM and 20 WPM. The Morse Code will be at 800 Hz and 1,000 Hz. There will also be long-duration 1,000 Hz tones that should be easily visible in the waterfall displays of an SDR.

There is more “voice” content to this test than most previous tests. Without saying too much, I can say that some of it will be unusual—unprecedented in my tenure as CPC Chairman. For those fortunate enough to copy the vocal audio, it will be a real treat. For those more distant, it might be worthwhile to listen to the test with a remote SDR located nearby to the station.

The station’s owner, Wesley Cox is the real deal. A station owner who is in love with the medium of radio, and someone who values the role of WCGA in his community. Once Jim Renfrew explained to him how passionate hobbyists were about hearing the station, he not only agreed—he embraced his role in the test.

Having an owner willing to print QSL cards, and handle verifications personally is beyond rare these days. It really shows that the CPC alone can’t do it—it takes each DX’er being a good ambassador to broadcasters. Treating each one with respect. Understanding that this is their business, their livelihood, we have a much greater chance of success.

Both of the most recent tests are proof of this. The CPC doesn’t need the credit—DX’ers like Jim and Harry Dence rightfully should be in the spotlight.

Despite the time of year and recent solar conditions, WCGA has a healthy signal—a coastal location and 1100 kHz isn’t terrible at night. It should provide a real shot for Europe, Scandinavia, and the West Coast.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

NRC & IRCA Courtesy Program Committee Chairman
Member WTFDA, MWC

Perseus SDR, Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy + Discovery, SDRPlay RSP-2 Pro, Sony XDR-F1HD [XDR Guy Modified], Dennon TU-1500RD, Sangean HDT-1X, Ray Dees RDS Decoders, Korner 9.2 Antenna, FM-6 Antenna, Kitz Technologies KT-501 Pre-amps, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.

“Nothing but blues and Elvis, and somebody else’s favorite song…”

On Apr 28, 2022, at 11:31 AM, Steve McDonald <ve7sl@...> wrote:

Thank you Jim and Les!! I’m looking forward to this one as 1100 is reasonably uncluttered here in the PNW so there is some hope. Any idea of what type of signals they will be using to attract attention … the standard mixture as usual?

Steve VE7SL Mayne Island, BC