Re: Vendor of FSLs?

Gary DeBock

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 05:26 PM, James Buttons wrote:
I've been interested in building an FSL, but I've always been blocked when it comes to sourcing the ferrite rods. I've seen very little concrete info on where to obtain except some vague references to eB from some Russian guy.... Are there docs that address where/how to source?

Thanks,
Jim
Hi Jim,

Since FSL antennas require so many ferrite rods there has always been a demand for inexpensive rods, since the cost of the American-made material is considered too expensive by most DXers. The Russian surplus ferrite rods have usually been the preferred source, which are sold on eBay by sellers in the Ukraine.

Unfortunately the current political tensions are making this source seem uncertain for the future. Even before the current political problems the primary Ukrainian seller raised his prices about 10 times, and cut the quantity of rods that he offers. Multiple Chinese vendors are on eBay, but the quality of their material is uncertain.

If you wish to order from the Ukraine and take your chances, a typical listing is linked below
6 pcs Ferrite Rod NiZn 8 x 125mm for Amateur and Crystal Radio Coils, AM SW USSR | eBay

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)