Re: Vendor of FSLs?

Gary DeBock

On Sun, Feb 6, 2022 at 01:23 AM, Dirk wrote:
Gary,
is there a kind of "complete list" and description of the FSL antennas you and Paul have built?
Lets say a kind of FSL homepage ...?
Hi again Dirk (and Nick, Paul, Peter and Phil),

The short answer to your question is "no," but you can find a lot of FSL information in the Ultralightdx files and in the IRCA articles, as Nick suggests. Because of their relatively high construction cost FSL antennas have always been a specialty item, with almost all of the models built by DXers for their own use, or for their friends' use. The cost of multiple ferrite rods, high sensitivity Litz wire and high quality variable caps has never been cheap, and although the performance of the antennas is pretty astonishing the supply and demand situation has always been completely out of whack.

Because of Paul's amazing DX-ploits in Alaska the FSL antenna demand has become even more extreme, and although I've personally given out more than a dozen of them the current scarcity of FSL's is like a "perfect storm" of huge demand and no supply. I currently don't have the free time to build them for sale, so the best option is to post detailed design photos of the latest models, along with occasional construction articles with more detail. For those who don't have the skill or interest to build the FSL antennas themselves maybe a technically qualified friend can do the job. Another related matter is the convoluted supply chain of certain components, but once you have them in hand you should be good to go. I have posted design photos of four recent FSL models with this message, including Paul's high-performing 5 inch "Paul Walker Variant" model. For the Russian surplus ferrite rods I would recommend that you track them down quickly, since the current eBay supply is almost all from the Ukraine, which has a very uncertain security situation at the moment.

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)