RXing is an awards program for anybody interested in the radio hobby, which
encourages portable operation in parks and similar areas.
Portable Radio RXing has been designed to make participation possible
for anybody interested in the radio hobby. The rules are very simple, and the
awards have been designed to be achievable. The purpose is to encourage
portable operation in parks and other similar locations, making the radio hobby
more public and allow radio hobbyists to enjoy the great outdoors.
How do I start?
Get out in a local park with your radios and log what you hear, it
really is that simple. A log file is available for download on this site.
These rules are simple and have been designed to enhance the enjoyment
of this awards program and ensure fairness.
1) All Portable Radio RXing activity must take part in a public park,
lookout, beach, mountain top or other such public location. All equipment must
be portable and carried by the participant to their operating location.
2) No Portable Radio RXing activity is permitted on private property for
3) 5/10/15 rule:
- You must walk a minimum of 5 metres from any motorised mode of
transport for a valid Portable Radio RXing activity.
- You must log a minimum of 10 frequencies for a valid Portable Radio
- You must remain in your location for a minimum of 15 minutes for a
valid Portable Radio RXing activity.
4) All frequencies must carry voice traffic. Data / paging frequencies
are not permitted for award purposes.
5) All HF/VHF/UHF frequency bands are all permitted for award purposes.
6) Each location may only be counted once in a 48-hour period for award
7) Each frequency may only be counted once per location per Portable
Radio RXing activity.
8) All decisions of the Portable Radio RXing administrator are final
Each activity counts for 1 point, bonus points are awarded for the first
Portable Radio RXing activity at each location (to encourage Portable Radio
RXing activity from different locations.) This adds 5 points to your tally.
Below is an example of a valid log.
Certificates will be emailed to all participants on the receipt of a
valid log for the achievement levels below: