Re: DXing while away? Unattended Recording

Phillip Fimiani

I use a solid state recorder on my NASA VLF3 radio to monitor lightning discharges. That works great for playback. But Im also thinking of the screen output... take the sdr screen display and record that.... I know there's a way of doing that.

Mortimer says "Stay Safe"
Best Regards
Phil
KD2HTN / WA2069SWL
Long: 34.210293 Lat:-78.057048
FM04xf 30dl
______________________________

On Friday, January 28, 2022, 10:28:35 AM EST, Tony Germanotta <germanotta.tony@...> wrote:

That would work, so long as the computer doesn’t generate noise that degrades the radio signal you’re seeking.  Back in the day, I used an old Beta video tape machine to record 8 hours of shortwave audio at a time. Don’t know that I ever went back to listen, but just wanted to see if it was possible. Some VCRs require there be a video signal to record audio. So You had to work around that.
These days you can buy a little solid state drive portable recorder that will record for days so long as you have a power source.  Just set the recording quality to a low MP3 rate to save space. You won’t notice the difference on an AM signal.

On Jan 28, 2022, at 10:17 AM, Phillip Fimiani via groups.io <myamiphil@...> wrote:

I was thinking of recording software for a pc. I'm using a linux box for my radio bench. Im sure there's a way of recording for extended periods.

Mortimer says "Stay Safe"
Best Regards
Phil
KD2HTN / WA2069SWL
Long: 34.210293 Lat:-78.057048
FM04xf 30dl
On Friday, January 28, 2022, 09:48:53 AM EST, FenDrifter via groups.io <essexmarshman@...> wrote:

There’s some very interesting observations here, that being a beginner in this game have sparked more interest. I have several high quality recorders in the house but it just never occurred to me to use one in this way 🤭

--
73
Phil

--