Re: DXing while away? Unattended Recording

Tony Germanotta

This is a common technique, especially on the graveyard channels, hyper local frequencies with a mashup of low power stations that wax and wane by the minute.  The new computer- based SDR radios even record a swath of the entire band so you can go back and “tune in” various stations later.

Like you, I don’t really enjoy that kind of listening. As the tube guys used to say, real radios glow in the dark. There is something special about spinning an analog dial and catching something new without even being sure the exact frequency you are on.

 But I have often run a recorder while hunting for a difficult catch, and gone back later to see if I could pick out a station ID by replaying the tape or using band pass filters or other audio editing tricks to clear out interference or highlight the audio I wanted to hear.

If you get a recorder with a counter on it, you just make a note where on the track the interesting audio is and go back when the band dies to see what you can gleen.

If you don’t keep track, though, you’ll be listening to it all again. That’s something I had to learn when using a recorder for interviews as a reporter. On deadline, you don’t have the time to be searching for that special quote.

It’s amazing sometimes what you can hear when you have time, can fiddle with tone controls, and aren’t caught by surprise.

You might still be unable to clear up an ID but instead discover a commercial you had ignored that identifies the town where the broadcast originated. That, plus the frequency, can often be enough to log a new station.

 And the tape can often convince that station to send you a QSL card or email, should you be into verifications.

Good luck. For me, the joy is in the hunt. I never chased QSLs or awards. The magic of a distant signal popping up in my room is enough reward.

On Jan 28, 2022, at 8:56 AM, Johnny via groups.io <jlochey@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Does anyone "sit" on a difficult frequency and record it for a time (while away/overnight, etc) and then go back and listen for any "DX" within that recording?

Or do you prefer to "hear it live" ?  I'm curious as I have never recorded a frequency and then went back to listen to it.

I'm specifically thinking about the difficult frequencies on my AM dial where reception is very hard to pick out/discern.

I would think that this would make DX'ing easier and certainly up your "total frequencies heard", but I'm not sure if it would be for me or not.

Was wondering if others liked this technique?

Johnny