From: main@UltralightDX.groups.io <main@UltralightDX.groups.io> on behalf of Peter Laws <plaws0@...>
Sent: Tuesday, 25 January 2022 9:21 AM
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io <main@ultralightdx.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] Alpha Numeric confusion!

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 4:22 PM FenDrifter via groups.io
<essexmarshman@...> wrote:

> Hi Peter
> Thanks for such an extensive reply! So these are ham radio call signs? Being totally ignorant of this area of interest I have a couple of questions. As this is an ultralight group I’m assuming these logs are picked up on sideband? If so then it’s something I’ve not yet investigated, although I do have a couple of sideband capable sets. Bear in mind I’m a (very) late starter in this game, added to that I’m in the UK. If I chose to look, where would be a good place to start?

The Number-Letter-Letter calls are Australian broadcast callsigns.
Because I'm goofy, now I *have* to know if they were once
VL-number-letter-letter or if that's urban legend.  Given geography,
Australian broadcast stations are unlikely to be confused, on air,
with another country, so there wasn't a pressing need to ever have
used them.

Australian broadcasters are like those in North America and --
DAB/DAB+ or LW aside the UK.  Medium Wave (520-1710 kHz give or take)
using AM and VHF (88-108 MHz give or take) using FM. Even the few
remaining shortwave broadcasters use AM.  Longwave broadcasting, which
was never a thing in the Americas, but that you all still have is also
AM.  I think BBC 4 is at 198 kHz?

As for where to start ... you kind of already have.  :-)