Re: Alpha Numeric confusion!

Peter Laws

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 4:28 PM Phillips <phillicom@...> wrote:

As for the letters of the broadcast call signs; some refer to the operators and some have historical interest.
Know anything about VL as a prefix for broadcast (not amateur)
stations? The article at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_signs_in_Australia casually
mentions VL but it's tagged [citation needed] ...

US stations in the pre-license era before 1912 were often ops'
initials as well. I believe that I've read that this was still
semi-true after the Dept of Commerce, Bureau of Navigation started
issuing licenses but that it was up to the district inspector. I
guess a search of old US gov't station lists (most of which are online
now) would tell.