Re: Identifying obscure languages?

kevin asato

For North American stations (US, Mexico, Canada) i usually do a web lookup of stations transmitting on a particular frequency ( search : 640KHz ) or jump to Wikipedia and search on the frequency. For International stations on 9KHz spacing, i usually do a search on the nearest 9KHz multiple above and below adjacent to the 10KHz frequency i am listening to. If you are in a region where 9KHz is the norm, look up the nearest AM stations on the nearest 10KHz (the Zero-s).
Hope this helps.
73,
kevin
kc6pob

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 9:09 AM FenDrifter via groups.io <essexmarshman=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi all
My next beginners question is, is there a known way of identifying unknown languages please? On a few occasions I’ve come across a couple of fairly close stations which are in languages I don’t understand, and where the digital frequency readout doesn’t help. More often just one station is transmitting and I can’t be sure which it is. I’ve sometimes waited for a program change but then just as they’re about to give the station name it warbles! I’m sure these must be lifelong problems for all, and I’m curious as to solutions.

Drifter