Re: The secret to DX'ing?

Issac Quincey

Excellent reply, it sounds like it is an okay radio but nothing to write home about.

I have my eye on a couple of different models to get myself started. The only small radio I have hear only has manual tuning so it is very hard to know what I am listening to.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Wednesday, January 12th, 2022 at 6:46 PM, kevin asato <kc6pob@...> wrote:
it's an OK radio. I think the old Sony transistor AM radios i grew up with had better ears. Then again, i listened to the bigger signals in the LA area when growing up - KFI, KHJ, KNX, KMPC, KTNQ; now i am fishing for the weaker signals. FM and WX reception are best done with the little supplied tail (ground fly lead) or with earbuds/headset. AM seems a bit deaf but i have been using it in a noisy room with lots of electronics radiating. i need to take it for.a walk around the neighborhood to see if things improve.

Again, i bought it mainly for my emergency and travel bag. This is one in the same as i sometimes travel to Public Safety repeater sites and having the Weather Alert function is a good to have when working outside. (I also carry an emergency food cache and supplies inside the bag if there is need to camp out at the site). The radio can also be set for international AM stations with a 9KHz setting which i hope to use when i finally get the opportunity to travel to Guam. This will also extend the FM band. i used this feature on another radio when in Tokyo which has many FM broadcasters in this lower part of the FM band. May get to try this in Guam if I can DX the FM band.

kevin
kc6pob

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 2:43 PM Issac Quincey via groups.io <IssacQuincey=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
The CC pocket looks like a cool little radio. Does it work well for you?

On Tuesday, January 11th, 2022 at 5:39 PM, kevin asato <kc6pob@...> wrote:
That's what started it for me when i built a Radio Shack Globe Patrol. Not ultralight but i used to spend hours just randomly tuning around to find things. Later, i would go to the library to look things up in World Radio and TV to verify what i was hearing. This was all pre-internet of course.

Now, i tune around with smaller radios and somewhat do the same (just added a CC Crane Pocket to my emergency kit). Only now i can verify things much easier with online references. i also have a few more tuning aids available such as a Terk Advantage with wire antenna and ground connections plugged in but still run barefoot mostly; a challenge in the Los Angeles RF Alley. The first night with the CC Crane i heard KNX (Los Angeles, 1070, 50KW) from Spokane, WA from my hotel room. Currently am hearing KTNN, The Navaho Network, in Window Rock, AZ (660KHz, 50KW directional) at about an S1 level and fading. Sometimes i also hear KTAR in PHX (620KHz) but much harder as transmit power is much lower. Pretty good listening as i have to work around the 640-KFI 50KW blowtorch.

i don't hear nearly the amount of stations others do, but it's the amount of time i use for listening versus other activities.

kevin
kc6pob

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 9:35 PM Issac Quincey via groups.io <IssacQuincey=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
For me, it is just listening and seeing what I can hear. My equipment is not within scope for this group but will be in the very near future.

On Tuesday, January 11th, 2022 at 10:09 AM, Peter Laws <plaws0@...> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 1:52 PM Johnny via groups.io
>
> jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io wrote:
>
> > Maybe the secret to good/great DX'ing boils down to DXing OFTEN with the radio that YOU LIKE using the most?
>
> Gilles, every week on the International Radio Report, says that the
>
> best way to know what's on is to turn on your radio and tune around.
>
> Sound advice, I'd say.
>
> Antennas really are where the "money" is. Best receiver in the world
>
> doesn't mean much if the antenna is a straightened out paperclip.
>
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Peter Laws | N5UWY | plaws plaws net | Travel by Train!
>
>

Join main@UltralightDX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.