Re: Hobbies in Public Areas

Paul Blundell

That's very true. Glad they got use to you and your dxing.

Paul

On Sun, 2 Jan 2022, 9:55 am Paul B. Walker, Jr., <walkerbroadcasting@...> wrote:
I DX from the top of my driveway here in McGrath, Alaska... on a very public road. When i first got here, everyone in this small town wondered what i was doing.. and tons asked.. now everyones used to it and seeing me outside in all kidns of weather, so they leave me alone.  Some people did genuinely think i was trying to talk to aliens.

On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 1:42 PM Chris Rogers <crvee8@...> wrote:
Hi Paul,
I find people are generally curious when they see radio equipment set up and like to know what you are doing. I generally tell them it is Amateur (ham) radio as most people have heard of that it is the easiest way to quickly get back to what you are doing rather than talking about MW dxing of which they will probably not understand.
Of course having the public come up to you often is a real interruption to your hobby so my advice is to stay clear of public parks and find quieter remote bush areas etc away so you don't have these interactions.